Friday, July 4, 2014

The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand

The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls 

by Claire Legrand

  • RatingOH CAN'T YOU JUST READ IT AND JOIN ME IN MY INTENSE LOVE FOR EVERYTHING IN THIS BOOK??Absolutely amazing and I recommend it to everyone no matter the age.
  • Formal Information- The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls is a Middle Grade fiction novel that's published by Simon & Schuster in 2012.

I got the book last year in Amazon.com. From the flip of the cover I already thought how peculiar this book is. From the charming black and white design on the inside cover to the curious filigree at the head of the first chapter- this book sucked me in and promised it'll be worth it.

and now, after the third re-read I can honestly say:

It only gets better and better after every read. 

SUMMARY

The story is set in Bellavile, a town that thrives on being perfect: It has perfect, pretty houses that have neat lawns and black gates, with perfectly respectable people who have perfect, beautiful children.

The main character is Victoria Wright, a 12-year-old who is a server perfectionist. She's top of her class, has a room full of trophies and honor rolls- she makes sure she is the best of the best. She's a no no nonsense girl who loves everything in her life to be in order and to make sense. Something that first stuck out to me about her is that she even avoids making friends because:

          "Victoria hated messes. She hated distractions. Friends were the worst distraction of all"

Charming, isn't she.

Despite this Victoria has one best friend named Lawrence Perwitt who is a prodigy at the piano but not very good at doing anything else. Victoria at first befriended him in 4th grade as a 'project':

          "Sacrificing her valuable tine to fix Lawrence will be a gift to the community of Bellavile"

someone she can boss around and fix. Lawrence tires to push her away and ignore her. But, Somehow, they become best friends (and my favorite characters of all time)

Then one day Lawrence disappears and no one seems to notice or care- No one except Victoria who won't take the lies that the adults try to give her, adults who's faces become strangely animated and hard- wolfish- at the mention of Lawrence's name

As Victoria starts to investigate she also starts to notice things that never crossed her mind before- like how the number of children at her school seems to be decreasing, or the creepy orphanage that's always been there and how everything seems to point to the loving Ms.Cavendish. The more she digs into the history of her 'perfect' town, the more she's realizing everything is not as perfect as it seems.

How much is Victoria Wright willing to get into to find her best friend and to get things back in order?

-Whoof! Is it time to rave yet? Review time!

I love the main character, prickly Victoria and her best friend, Lawrence both have a special place in my heart, (Interview of them both here *dies of adorableness*). Victoria has become a sort of role model for me. I never read a book with a heroine that reminded me so much of myself in so many ways. I loved Victoria's character and personality. and on of the best things of this book is the ever so subtle way Victoria changes by the end. She's still Victoria but with a slightly changed perspective that makes a world of a difference. I'll stop myself here to not spoil anyone. SINCE SHE IS THE MOST KICK-ASS CHARACTER EVER LIKE YOU DON'T WANT A PIECE OF VICTORIA WRIGHT.



Victoria Wright ladies and gentlemen.

Now, lets talk about the ever so lovelycharming, and kind, Ms. CAVENDISHNow this bitch, She is a very well hated character- the type you love to hate I swear I'm calling Rapunzel to SMACK this roach with a frying pan SO HARD right now, how DARE she do that to-

Ahem.

Mrs. Cavendish truly does show the perfect nightmare. She displays a safe home and claims to only want to be a loving mother to all her children (the 'orphans'), you can't help but love her and want to fall asleep in her lap and tell her everything that's wrong.....But she's a monster. and, even more terrifying, she's a monster with her own moral compass that, sadly, I, in my hearts or hearts, understand. She does what she did and knows that no one can stop her. Not the adults, and definitely not the children. She's why the story is truly horror. She makes you feel helpless and alone. What's the point in fighting when you know there is no way you could win?

WHAT DEPTH OF HELL DID SHE CRAWL OUT OF I WILL NEVER KNOW BUT I'M SURE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOO DEEP TO COME OUT

AHEM.

Let's talk about something more cheerful! Shall we? Like how BEAUTIFUL  this book is. and the AMAZING writing of Legrand.

WRITING & ART

Lets talk about the ART in this book. Lets talk about how BEAUTIFUL this book is. How every aspect of this book from the cover to the interior designs is charming and well put together to fit the mood and tone of the story so perfectly. There is also a hand full of illustrations scattered between every few chapters by the ever so talented Sarah Watts. Honestly, I don't think there could have been a better choice that Sarah Watts. Her drawings just added that much more to the story.

As you read, there are random squashed up bugs randomly placed on pages that I thought was ever so charming and were a pleasant surprise when I first opened the book. And the best part is the more you read the more chilling it is to see the bugs. I'm not sure if I'm right but I feel like the number of bugs increase the moment Mrs. Cavendish is mentioned or 'the room gets cold'.

Legrand's writing is spectacular, intriguing, it pulls you in from page one. Actually, my favorite part of the book is the first chapter, along with, you know, the REST of the book. I have yet to be able to pass the book on my bookshelf and not read the first chapter. The writing just naturally pulls you in and you're caught, swaying in an awestruck state like Victoria in Ms. Cavendish's kitchen.

WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK UNIQUE (the message)

But, most importantly, this story shows the consequence of forcing children to be something they're not in hope that they will act 'normal' and 'not stand out

SO, WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS

you're not going to regret ever picking this book up.

UPDATES & NOTIFICATIONS

I decided to post once a week on this blog so I hope you get to reading while I'm gone!

I left out A TON of stuff that I'm saving for my BOOK TALK! That's for those who READ the book, (but I'm not banning anyone). It's a post where I'll discuss the book and my thoughts and pretty much go crazy and into detail. Anything you want to say? In the comments or go to my email:

MANIACTICREADS@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment