Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place 

By Maryrose Wood (sounds like one name if you read it out loud)


Rating - It's really enjoyable and all the characters quickly grown on you and the ending- THE FORESHADOW IS INTENSE- HOW COULD I NOT BUY THE SECOND BOOK?
Formal Information- This is a fiction book printed by Blazer + Bray in 2010. Illustrations by Jon Klassen (whose Tumblr is really cool). And has 267 pages

CONCERNING THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW: Governess is a fancy name for nanny.

The main character is Penelope Lumley (Lumply is how I pronounced it in my head), a 15-year-old girl who recently graduated from Swanburne Academy for Young Poor Bright Females-where a loving and peculiar education was given to her. She goes to Aston Place for a job interview to be a governess to 3 'unruly' children. Shortly after arriving she finds out the children aren't Lord Ashton and Lady Constance's. Lord Ashton found them in his forest while hunting and it's obvious that they were raised by wolves. Lady Constance, a newly wed, isn't found of children and is desperate to find a governess who'd be willing to teach them proper manners. Penelope is known for her soft spot for animals and is determined to teach these children. With patient example and a few treats she slowly begins make progress with them. But suddenly Penelope has to get them ready for the party- Lady Constance's debut- a party that will determine the future of the children. Can Penelope teach them proper table manners and pleasantries to get them ready in time?

And she soon finds out that there are mysteries surrounding these three pups. Is someone out to get Lord Ashton? Or is someone out to get the children? 

NOW YOU KNOW, NOW YOU'LL KNOW MORE:

THE WRITING

The writing. Let's talk about the writing!! I loved reading the story and the comments of the narrator and the constant quoting of Agatha Swanburne- a wise and witty woman who founded Penelope's Academy. Something I noticed and began to look forward too was the first paragraph of every chapter. It's when the narrator is at her wittiest as she talks about something seemingly random and irrelevant to the last chapter's events but she always smoothly ties it into the chapter:

"If you have ever visited a theme park full of roller coasters, water slides, and thrilling games of chance, you were undoubtedly tickled half to death by it all. But then, just when it seemed the excitement had reached a fever pitch from which you might never recover, the tedious ordeal of waiting in a long line for the bathroom may have suddenly made you so bored that you wished you were home in bed with the flu."

After reading this you might wonder what does this have to do with the chapter where Penelope is at her job interview? Well, I suppose you'll just have to read the book to find out.

PENELOPE, THE CHILDREN, and Lady Constance

(Her name doesn't need to be in bold. She is already too pompous as it is.)

Let's shove this obnoxious queen of annoying out of the picture to focus on- Penelope LumleyI grew fond of her very quickly. I found myself admiring her actions and the way she's able to stay composed and know exactly the way to act- and how she thinks before she speaks. I'll try to use her example as much as possible. You can gain a lot from the nuggets of wisdom from Agatha Swanburne ( Penelope's role model and founder of the academy) :

"'lady Constance, we are confronted with a mystery,' Penelope said 'It reminds me of the words of Agatha Swanburne: 'One can board one's train only after it arrives at the station. Until then, enjoy your newspaper!'
"Enjoy your newspaper?" Lady Constance gave a little snort "what on Earth does that mean?" 

IF YOU WAIT A MOMENT PENELOPE EXPLAINS YOU LITTLE BRAT S

But she's not all prim and proper and that's one of the main reasons I love her. I loved reading about her eccentric thoughts (that made me laugh out loud for the randomness of them). I easily sympathized and saw a bit of myself in her ways- although she can handle a situation far better than I can. she's a character I grew to feel protective of. I didn't want anything BAD to happen to her and I just wanted Lady Constance to STAY AWAY and let her do what she wanted in peace.

But there are more than a few moments where Penny (for Penelope is getting tedious to wright) shows her 'natural boldness' and that made me swell up in pride- for she does so during situations where something she  feels strongly about is threatened (usually involving the children- characters whom I fell so swiftly in love I might have scraped a knee). 

Since I mentioned The Children-

  ALLOW ME TO EXPRESS MY GOOFY LOVE FOR THESE LOVELY ADORABLE KIDS WHO ARE SO CUTE AND UTTERLY CHARMING There are three- and I don't understand how anyone couldn't fall in love with them as fast as I did- and most the characters (those who were patient and kind) very soon found their charms and grew found as well. Whenever it concerned any of them - Penelope got protective and thoughtful and concerned and I quickly started to feel that way towards them myself.

I wanted to leave her out- but I can't can I?

Sadly the author had to include this bitch On the subject of characters who grew found of the children- I have to mention the one who DIDN'T. Lady Constance. She is the newly wedded bride of Lord Ashton and is used to living a very...privileged life. She is also thoughtless, selfish, and close minded towards the children at all times. Even when she tried to do something for them it never worked out and- if it wasn't for a certain chapter which I will talk about in the Book Talk  I think she would have been my lest favorite character.  She's EXTREMELY annoying and I tap off my hat for Penny- the girl has nerves to be able to endear this lady for 267 pages.

Dispit all of this though, she's actually not my lest favorite character.This surprised me since I truly disliked her and had to press my lips together in annoyance whenever she was talking about the children or slyly insulting Penny (whom, as I mentioned, I also feel protective of).

Surprisingly though,

Coming to this decision was a surprise.

Who had the honors of becoming my lest favorite character? Lord Ashton. Want to know why? Read the book,  then go to my Book Talk where I'll explain and between the two of us maybe we can figure out which character truly deserved the award of LEST FAVORITE CHARACTER. Lord Ashton wasn't present very often in the story but the more screen time he got the more I- as well as Penny- saw the truth of this character.

THE ART

The art.

The whole book- I'm including the touch the feel  (I hope yo can relate?) of the book, It makes me think of 'old-fashion' but in a charming way.

The word that perfectly describes this book as a whole- including the story- is Quaint

Quaint

  [kweynt] 
adjective, quaint·er, quaint·est.
  • 1.
    having an old-fashioned attractiveness or charm; oddly picturesque: a quaint old house.
    2.
    strange, peculiar, or unusual in an interesting, pleasing, or amusing way: a quaint sense of humor.

The cover and illustrations are quaint and oh so adorable!! GOODNESS I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW WELL I'M CONTAINING MYSELF IN THIS REVIEW WHEN I JUST WANT TO RAVE ALL DAY ABOUT THE CHARACTERS.


But, nevertheless, I shall have to contain my rampaging love and enthusiasm for the Book Talk
    "When will that be posted?" Asks Reader
    "Oh, dear Marshmallow-er Reader. When I can stop reading long enough to stop writing reviews long enough to stop EDITING reviews- that's when I can write the Book Talk. So. Soon. Promise!"

Updates and notifications

I recently got a TON of books and I plan to post a BOOK HAUL soon! So look forward to that! And Today I had my friend over so we can watch an anime called Corpse Party- oh. oh. oh-the blood- oh. More of that later though!

Sincerely,
Nadine.

No comments:

Post a Comment